Sat 07
New Mills
1st Team
New Mills  3  Eccleshall  3 (4-5 after penalties)

New Mills 3 Eccleshall 3 (4-5 after penalties)

By Jim Tunney
Share via

McCarthy the hero as Eagles win penalty shoot out to go through in the First Division Cup

Eccleshall faced a vastly changed New Mills team in the Cup to that from a couple of weeks previously in the league. With a new management team, only three of that team were in the starting line up. The Eagles management also rang the changes with Oliver Dunne and Robert Pearson in the starting eleven and new signing George Woodroffe on the bench.

The Millers were playing some decent one touch football in the early stages and took the lead on 13 minutes when Chris Carroll hit a thunderbolt shot from outside the box which found the top corner of the net, giving Eagles 'keeper Louis McCarthy no chance. On 22 minutes, a mistake in the Millers box gave Eccleshall a good chance but Pearson's effort was wide of the post. A good run by Mason Fallon set up Dennis Sherriff but his effort was deflected for a corner. Moments later, a Gary Gee header hit the bar before being cleared for a corner which Kerr Nathaniel headed wide. The Millers had managed to close down the Eagles players at every opportunity, stifling their play. The visitors were looking to get back in the game and, on 41 minutes, Shay Finney netted but was flagged offside. Tom Wakefield then brought a good save out of Millers 'keeper Alexander Fowell. Right on half time, Eagles equalised when a Finney corner was headed back into the six yard box by Harvey Collins and Lewis Dunn squeezed the ball home.

HT: New Mills 1 Eccleshall 1

Within a minute of the restart, New Mills regained the lead when a mistake by Joe Griffiths was pounced on by Nathan Webb to score. Then, a free kick by Gee was just over the bar. Another Finney free kick was headed wide by a diving Wakefield. On 57 minutes, New Mills scored again. Awarded a free kick outside the box, Carroll stepped up to match his first goal with another thunderbolt into the top corner, McCarthy again having no chance. Eccleshall were now chasing the game and a Matt Kimmins cross was headed wide by Ryan Baxter. Moments later, Kimmins again set up Wakefield, who headed wide. With 66 minutes gone, Eccleshall pulled one back when Finney won the ball and his hard low cross was deflected past Fowell by a home defender. Eagles were now pushing forward and a great ball from Griffiths left Wakefield clear around the penalty spot but he failed to capitalise. On 77 minutes however, Eagles were on level terms when referee Sawicz spotted an infringement in the area and awarded a penalty. Jordan Benton stepped up to beat Fowell, his fourth successful spot kick in five games. Eccleshall were now pushing for the winner and a Finney corner was headed over the bar. Then, a crossfield ball by Callum Feeney found Collins and his powerful drive brought a great save from Fowell.

FT: New Mills 3 Eccleshall 3

With the result being decided on the day, the match moved to penalties. Benton and Wakefield netted before McCarthy saved the second Millers spot kick by Nield. Baxter netted, as did Fallon before Fowell saved Finney's kick. Webb netted for the Millers and Feeney stepped up to put the Eagles back in front. Carroll stepped up to make it 4-4 and sudden death. Jake Langdridge put Eccleshall ahead again and then McCarthy dived to brilliantly turn Thiaw's spot kick away and put the Eagles through to the next round where they will face Division 1 North high flyers, Lower Breck, in Liverpool on 5. October.

Eagles: McCarthy, Collins, Dunn, Benton, Dunne, Griffiths (Langdridge), Kimmins (Johnson), Feeney, Wakefield, Pearson (Baxter), Finney.
Unused subs: Woodroffe, Smith.

Attendance: 112

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 07, Sep 2019